Dying to Piece a Quilt!


The company that makes the glazes I use on my glass also makes a killer line of fabric paints. If you thin them a little, they make marvelous dyes. We’ve moved and I couldn’t think of a good place to hang dyed fabrics so I decided to try drying them on waxed paper. By the time I was done playing with the colors I had 26 pieces of dyed fabric. When I got up the following morning they were dry enough to set and I was very pleased with how they turned out.

Three pieces of plain cotton, I love the wrinkle look to the dye.


This was a white on white that took the color only in the cotton and not in the printed design. I was pleased with how it looks.
This pattern is more subtle but works nicely. I feel in love with this fabric when I saw it the first time because it looks like cornelli lace which I made lots of when I worked as a professional cake decorator.


Near the end of my dying I grabbed this piece of fabric and dyed sections in a variety of colors to see how it would look. It isn't a big shift but enough to count and I'm very pleased.

Now I have the bright commercial colors and the less intense colors that I needed to go with them.