Tuesday Traditions : Sarasponda

In 2005, we avenged a very difficult loss from the 2004 season, defeating what used to be a heated rival in Lakeland and in so doing, we won the Lakeland Invitational. When I say heated, it was to the point where they were cursing at us when we would change sides of the net. In 2005, we had a pretty good team, but they had six seniors and had beaten us the year before, and I think they thought they would win again. It didn't work out that way, as we won 4-1, sweeping the doubles with Joel King and Wes Klassen picking up singles victories.

Both of the doubles matches had been very tight, so in winning them we were in celebratory mood on the bus ride home. All of a sudden, Michael Steury busts out with "Boom-da, boom-da, boom-da, boom-da." I had never heard the song before, but all of the rest of the guys had and joined in a spontaneous and loud version as never heard before. I remember Wes Klassen in his highest, squeakiest voice, shouting out the nonsensical words at the top of his lungs. It was so much fun.

Then we defeated NorthWood, in what may have been one of the tightest matches that I've coached. This time we gathered on the court, our home courts, to sing our new victory song. And tradition was born.

Through the next few years, we sang the victory song on many different occasions. Let me point out that our team record is 41-20 since we started this tradition, so maybe we're just really excited to sing! But we never sing it on an opponent's courts, unless it is Sectional, because Sectional is supposed to be neutral courts. We also only sing it after we win. I can remember at the 2007 post-season celebration we were sitting around the campfire and the parents wanted us to sing it for memories sake. No one would. Some of the parents wanted me to encourage you, but I didn't want to. I like that it is special, only for victory. Singing it as a team at other times cheapens it.

I remember singing it so many different times. That 2005 NorthWood match, the 2007 Fairfield Sectional victory. The 2008 Penn victory. I continue to hope that there will be many more.