Summer Journal

This morning, I spent 20 minutes chatting with Northridge head coach Evan Atkinson. I stopped at the Maple City Racquet Club to get some information about summer classes, and we ended up talking about our teams, our workout schedules, and thinking about the upcoming season.

Evan thinks he'll have a good team this year, and I'm sure they'll be good. I know we're going to have a great team. I can see it in the guys who have committed to individual workouts. I know it from watching guys play at Open Courts. I can tell by those who are dedicated to playing and loving tennis.

We will rise to our potential. The key is that as Bethany tennis players, we will commit to playing more tennis than our competitors. We will push ourselves to get out onto the tennis courts and hit 100 serves a day. To play for a couple of hours. To come to Open Courts. Why will we do this?

Because the "battling" starts now.

This summer, we're already competing against the other schools on our schedule, in our Sectional. This summer, we're already building towards records, accomplishments, memories, trophies. Or we are not.

When we choose to play, we're that much closer to our full ability. When we choose not to, we're that much further away. The thought of this team kissing a Sectional trophy gets me to the courts every day. It gets me on the phone talking to you. It gets me excited for tennis camp.

I'm happy when I have a team with vision, that is ready to battle right now for it.